Project 1 Milestones
Now that you have completed your first presentation of a complete site redesign for Golden Gate Park, you will use in-class feedback to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your design and present an improved revised version.
- Based on in-class discussion and peer feedback forms, type up a list of the following by next class (2/20):
- What aspects of your site design seemed to create the most positive feedback?
- What things about your site design created confusion or other negative feedback?
- What was one example of feedback that surprised you?
- What was something that impressed you about a fellow student’s presentation enough that you might use a similar idea for your own revisions?
- The revised version of your web site will be presented as an interactive mockup using Narrativ. Please familiarize yourself with this platform by signing up for a free account and watching the instructional videos.
Be prepared to take a short written quiz on Gestalt Theory (see reading assignment from last week).
Project 1: Golden Gate Park site
Final web comps due Tuesday, 2/18. Combine the following into a single PDF file for presentation:
- Target audience slide
- “Mood board” slide
- Home page
- Home page with nav menu rollover state
- Sub-page 1
- Sub-page 2
Process books also due Tuesday 2/18. Process books should be clearly labeled with your name and class and include 8.5×11 prints of all the following:
- Design brief
- Target audience profile
- Mood board
- Competitive audit
- Any sketches, photos, etc. you produced for this project
- Visual comps
- Final page designs
Reading Assignment: Gestalt Theory
Read this handout and be prepared to take a short quiz on Gestalt theory next week:
Please help with some feedback!
Attached are my Mood Board, Competitive Audit, and Home Wireframe.
Wire frame home
Important Schedule Reminders:
Project 1 Milestones:
- First round of digital site comps due Tuesday, February 11.
- Present comps of home page and two sub-pages of your choosing.
- Use one of the 960s template files (same templates used in class) as a basis for your grid. You can download the entire package of template files here.
- Consider hierarchy, typography, mood, etc.
- Save a copy as PDF to present on screen.
- Worth: 200 points. (100 pts. for home page, 50 for each sub-page).
Field Trip Make Up Assignment
If you will not be attending the field trip for any reason then be prepared to present the following in class on Tuesday, February 11:
- Research three new wearable technologies that are either available today or expected to reach market within 2 years. (Examples: Pebble smartwatch, iWatch (speculated), Jawbone headsets, smart contact lenses (really, this is a thing!)
- For each of these, describe some of the new and interesting interface design challenges each one creates. For example, the Pebble Smartwatch has a small black&white e-ink screen and only three buttons: How does that impact the apps one could create for this device and how they might look?
- Prepare a short presentation of your research as a PDF file to be viewed on-screen in class.