Can you believe next week is our last week of regular class sessions? Anyway, here’s the game plan:
Tuesday, May 13
- Critique 2 for group web site redesign.
- You should carefully review peer feedback from the first critique to make sure you have addressed any important design concerns.
- Interactive Mockup due, make sure mockup is functional and online by the beginning of class.
- This will be your final chance for full-class feedback on the site design.
Thursday, May 15
- Complete draft of Design Brief due.
- This brief is a PDF document that will accompany your presentation, just like the PDF file you created for your app presentation.
- Design Brief should include a basic introduction, research, target persona, user scenario, etc.
- Don’t forget to make sure PDF is optimized for on-screen viewing. (File size <10mb, landscape format, etc.)
Tuesday, May 20
- Final group presentations.
- Final interactive mockups and final design brief PDF files due.
- Arrive on time and ready to present for full credit.
- Peer feedback forms due.
Project 3 Milestones
Gather materials that represent the overall design aesthetic you’re exploring for the redesigned site. Be sure to include:
- Sample color palettes that create a good overall mood for the site. One resource for exploring and creating color palettes: Adobe Kuler
- Sample typefaces for the site. Explore typefaces for both headlines and body copy. Be sure to make sure all typefaces are available as web fonts.
- Existing examples (web sites or printed materials) of projects that use a visual style that you may borrow from/use as inspiration for your new site. These samples don’t necessarily need to be from organizations in the same industry; for example you might like the way a certain magazine is laid out or borrow textural elements from a photocopied flyer.
Prepare to share in class Tuesday, April 29.
Group Site Redesign Project
For our final project for this class you will work in small groups to redesign a website for an existing company or organization. Before being assigned to a group you will individually research at least 3 existing sites that you think would make good candidates for this project.
Criteria for potential client sites:
- May be either a non-profit organization or a for-profit company.
- Must be a site for a mid-size to large organization (annual revenues of around $1M or more)
- Must include a shopping cart/e-commerce function (either for an online store, donations, etc.)
- Home page includes some kind of dynamic/constantly updated content
- Current site has at least 10 pages.
Prepare a PDF file with screen shots of each and a paragraph for each site explaining some ways you think the site could be improved. Also include a link to each site from the PDF file.
Due Thursday, April 16.
Happy Spring Break!
iPhone App Project milestones due Tuesday, April 8:
Revised digital comps due for on-screen critique, including
- Revised App Icon
- Splash Screen
- Home Screen
- Minimum of 2 Additional Screens
Combine into a single PDF file for in-class critique.
Project 2 Milestones
Now that you have chosen a final idea to develop for a Golden Gate Park iPhone app, complete the Mobile App Research assignment in the attached PDF file below. Deliverables for this app include:
- App definition
- Features List
- Competitive Research
Prepare this assignment as a screen-ready PDF file ready to share next class. Don’t forget to include your name and class in the file. Name your PDF file in the following format: AppResearch_firstname_lastname.pdf
Due Wednesday, March 13
Mobile App Research Assignment (PDF)