Introduction To Beginning InDesign
Welcome to Beginning Adobe InDesign! This is an intensive, hands-on course in page layout and composition using Adobe InDesign CS6. By the end of this semester, students will be able to:
- Construct single- and multi-page documents using Adobe InDesign
- Layout pages with text and graphics following industry standards
- Apply and understand the basics of typesetting
- Create and apply character and paragraph styles
- Create and manage graphic elements on the page
- Create and apply object styles
- Create and apply both spot and process color to objects and type
- Preflight and package a document for offset printing
Instructor, Office Hours, Contact
Tim Harrington, instructor
- Class day and time: Tuesdays-Thursdays, 9am-12pm, Ocean Campus, Rm. V105
- Office hours: Thursdays, 1pm-1:30pm, Rm. V103
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRPH 25 or MMSP 120 or successful completion of equivalency test.
GRPH 27: Survey of Print Production
- Removable media drive (USB or FIreWire) to transport files
- Typography E-gauge ruler (clear plastic, see sample in class)
- Course Reader hard copy (see below for details)
- Pencil/pen/highlighter for making notes in the reader and/or your notebook
Textbook (COURSE READER)
GRPH 101A, Beginning Adobe InDesign CS6 Course Reader by Patricia Chytrowski is required for this class.
Important note regarding course reader: The reader contains information specific to the Spring 2014 semester and lists Patricia Chytrowski as the instructor. We will be using these readers to reduce textbook costs but supplementing them with updated calendar and contact information for the Summer 2014 session.
The course reader is available at the Ocean Campus Bookstore (50 Phelan Avenue, Conlan Hall.) Please purchase your copy immediately since we will be referring to it regularly in class.
Hours: Tues 9am – 6pm, Wed & Thur 9am–5pm, Fri 9am–2pm
InDesign CS6 Visual QuickStart Guide
by Sandee Cohen, $34.99, Peachpit Press 2012